References of "Brasseur, Françoise"
     in
Bookmark and Share    
Peer Reviewed
See detailObservations of serum trace elements in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
Beguin, Yves ULg; Brasseur, Françoise ULg; Weber, Géraldine ULg et al

in Cancer (1987), 60(8), 1842-6

Serum trace elements (STE) were measured in 50 patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and 100 normal subjects. Copper was higher in patients than in controls (1.50 +/- 0.06 versus 1.10 +/- 0.02 ... [more ▼]

Serum trace elements (STE) were measured in 50 patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and 100 normal subjects. Copper was higher in patients than in controls (1.50 +/- 0.06 versus 1.10 +/- 0.02 micrograms/ml, P less than 0.001), increased steadily from Stage 0 to Stage 4 (P = 0.002), and correlated with the lymphocyte count and serum lactate dehydrogenase (P less than 0.01) but not with acute phase reactants. Zinc was lower in patients than in controls (0.94 +/- 0.03 versus 1.10 +/- 0.02 micrograms/ml, P less than 0.001). Zinc (NS), selenium (P = 0.039), and calcium (P = 0.033), were decreased in Stages 3-4 as compared to Stages 0-2. The copper-to-zinc ratio (CZR) increased continuously from Stage 0 to Stage 4 (P less than 0.001). Discriminant analysis between two groups, Stage 0-2 and Stage 3-4, based on serum copper, zinc, calcium, and protein levels, allowed for a correct classification of 94% of the patients. Moreover, the clinical staging of the remaining 6% was modified retrospectively according to the results of discriminant analysis. It was concluded that (1) serum copper and CZR are useful indices of the extent of disease, (2) they are independent of a nonspecific acute phase reaction, (3) STE determination could be helpful in the staging of a limited number of CLL patients, and (4) zinc deficiency could contribute to immune dysfunction in CLL. [less ▲]

Detailed reference viewed: 35 (5 ULg)